St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church
About this Exploration:
St. Martin of Tours Parish in Piqua,was established in 1884, 3 years before the Diocese of Wichita.
The present brick church building was dedicated November 12, 1922.
The dimensions of St.Martin's are:
was designed by H.W.
Brinkman, the architect for many churches and public buildings within the
state of Kansas. It features bricks that at are wider than the standard
- Width: 52 feet
- Height of walls: 28 feet
- Tower: 17 x 17 feet
- Tower Wall Height: 58 feet
The money to build the
church was raised by parishioners through stipends, crops donated by the
parish farmers, raffles and the famous St. Martin's Alter Society
Thanksgiving Turkey Dinners. Thousands of turkey dinners with all the trimmings were
prepared by the St. Martin's Alter Society Ladies and their families.
Folks from all around the area on Thanksgiving Day traveled to Piqua to
partake of the delicious meals. The last “official” Thanksgiving dinner
was held in 1972.
Although regular Sunday
mass is no longer celebrated at the beautiful St. Martin of Tours
Church, the building is still maintained and open to the public. It is open 24 hours a day seven days a week. It
is fully maintained by volunteers of the parish and local citizens of
St. Martin's still holds mass on Christmas Eve when
Piqua residents and family return to town to celebrate
priest from St John's Parish in Iola is now in charge of Iola, Piqua and
St. Joseph’s in Yates Center. The Easter Holy Week Services rotate
between the three parish churches with at least one Holy Week Service being
held at St. Martin's Parish.
Call 620.365.8309 for times of holiday services and come early, the church will be packed!