Welcome to Palco
Learn more about Palco by following the links below:
The great opportunity to obtain free land on the Great Plains enticed many individuals to come this area. They came from European countries, Canada and mid-states of Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Ohio. These true pioneers came to the prairie and built homes, staying on throughout their lives and leaving a heritage for their children and descendants that bear their names to this day.
Several villages and townships were developed in the area but a new town was established along the rail of Union Pacific Railroad. The name Palco was given to a town plotted on September 26, 1888 by using the first letters of the last names of two railroad officials, Palmer (Pal) and Cole (CO). With enterprising businessmen moving their belongings and families from nearby Cresson and area townships it became a beehive of activity. On November 18, 1888, the first train came through carrying mail, express, freight, and passengers. Within a short time the town was dotted with businesses and houses. The big fire of 1893 destroyed much of the town and the surrounding area. Many businesses rebuilt and the community despite other fires within the community stayed very active through the 1980s when the oil industry slowed down and residents moved on to find new jobs.
City of Palco - Ashley Kuhn
Palco, KS 67657